Sunday, August 23, 2009

Blue Ridge Sketchers first Outing


This is a watercolor done on a 12x16 Kilimanjaro wc block. I use the 140 lb. block as my sketchbook now and is quite suited for the purpose. I seldom finish a piece on location, as I add any finishing touches at home. Not a bad way to work, as I can really look the piece over and make a few decisions concerning its final appearance. This was a bit unexpected view just off the Bass Lake trail - what you don't see are my wife and child also painting, along with our other friends/members.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Cool spot you found there!

Gary said...

Yup - we've walked past this spot many times before - who would thunk?

Anonymous said...

very tolkienish, expect to see Merry and Pippin charging around the corner any second
x

martinepittet said...

Really nice indeed. You do manage to have deep colours whereas my watercolours always look pale and subdued. How do you do that I wonder !
Anyway I love them all.
Congratulations
Martine

Gary said...

Thanks Martine - if anything I tend to get heavy handed at times. I must really love contrast. But it's all in the saturation of the wash. I use a variety of paint brands, especially Cheap Joe's Brand, American Journey (http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supplies/6932_american-journey-watercolor-paints.asp).