Sunday, November 15, 2009

Brownie McGhee



Brownie McGhee
22x30" watercolor on 300 lb. Arches coldpress.

Okay, I'm calling this one finished. I may still try to get a better photo of this one - anybody know how to avoid the "fisheye" effect from a digital camera?

Brownie McGhee is perhaps best known for the 45 years he worked along side of Sonny Terry, a harp player who had worked with Blind Boy Fuller up until Fuller's death. McGhee grew up in Kingsport Tennesee - again, not too far from here - played throughout the southeast and in Durham, NC before recording in Chicago then moving to New York. McGhee and Terry exemplefied the Piedmont Blues sound to many. Like other blues artists they became famous through the folk revival movement in the 50's and 60's. McGhee even had cameo parts in several films (like Steve Martin's "The Jerk") and on Broadway. He passed away in California in 1996.


8 comments:

Ramona Davidson said...

Thank you for all the kind comments you have given me and others. For being such a generous person I'm giving you an Over The Top blog award. See my blog for details.

Dan Kent said...

Gary - I love the expression on the blues singer (the painting). And the background seems to match the music. Nice job!

Gillian Mowbray said...

That's a powerful painting - even if it is unfinished. Nice work.
I do love some of the names that jazz and blues singers adopted!

Autumn Leaves said...

What a wonderful series you have with these songsters of old, Gary. I am enjoying both your paintings and your bits of history on each of them! So glad I found your blog!

Ellen Burkett said...

Excellent! I'm loving this music series both the visual aspect and hat you have to say about them. This is VERY nice. Love that thoughtful look on his face.

FitFoodieMegha said...

You are an exceptional artist Gary! Though unfinished, it is looking wonderful! Well captured expression...:)

Water Color Pencil: Prince George of Persia

Rosemary said...

Ok, this time I'm going to tell you how much I like this painting BEFORE clicking the "play" button! My eyes lock on his face and that woeful expression...You captured something from inside of him. The strength of his clothing pulls me on down and I am amazed at the detail in the shirt and jacket! You have a steady hand, Gary! The guitar provides an "eye rest" before following the neck to the delicate hand and fingers! The music is echoed in the background. You were no doubt listening to Brownie play and sing as you painted! Like the Etta piece, this just blows me away!

Bensonhurst Solar Panels said...

This was a lovely blog posst